Thursday, February 12, 2009

Common Iliac Artery Aneurysm

During my CAT scan in early December for my herniated disc, the radiologist who reviewed the results noted that I have an anyeurism in both my left and right common illiac arteries. Generally this occurs in older patients, but I guess I'm the lucky 38-year old this time. I had an appointment with my family doctor this morning in which we discussed this finding. He didn't seem overly concerned because I'm not exhibiting any symptoms, but he is having my full blood workup done by a lab just to make sure. He also recommends I see a cardiologist since they are the specialists who handle these kinds of issues.

I've done some reading on the internet about this. According to what I've read the seriousness of the condition depends on the size of the anyeurism. At best when the aneurysm is < 3 cm I'll just need to keep an eye on it. If it's larger than that it might mean I'll need surgery. I'm curious as to the cause of this. I'm not sure when my appointment with the cardiologist will be, but I'll be sure to post when I find out anything new.

Aaron

No comments: